Unlike countries like Korea where the shops are very generous with giving free samples, in Malaysia you generally only get free samples when you purchase something. Even then you have to remember to ask for it and some times you only get 1 small sample. So I went on a bit of a “craze” searching for companies that give out free samples (preferably with free shipping). So here I’m documenting the “haul” of free samples I received and how long it took for me to receive the samples.
If you’re interested in these samples and more, just pop on over to a page I have where I compile all the free stuff you can get: Free Stuff!
I follow a subreddit called r/freebies but most of the free stuff there are for US, UK, Canada etc and quite rarely for Global (even when Global usually they don’t ship to Malaysia). So I just went online and searched for free samples from local websites.
Probably the only one in the list that wasn’t delivered to me. I went to my preferred store to pick it up.
Had to provide my name and phone number through FB message, then at the store was required to fill up a customer information form for their record. They tag you to your customer record by mobile number. The sales associate was kind enough to ask if I wanted to try anything else, so I got a set of their shampoo, conditioner and hair mask samples.
- Method of request: Messaged the official FB page (I believe it’s possible to just walk in and ask. Messaging online just allowed them to confirm availability of the sample I wanted at my preferred store)
- Date Requested: 28th Feb 2019, confirmed on 1st March 2019
- Collected in store: 2nd March 2019
- Personal thoughts: I think it’s great that they were willing to give samples and even offered to let me try other products I’m interested in. L’OCCITANE products are not cheap so I feel better about being able to try it out before committing to purchasing. I’m totally fine with my customer file having a history of samples I’ve tried, I know people will abuse it if they don’t keep track.
Anlene (New product – Café Latte)
- Method of request: Filled up a form on their website, selected which sample I wanted.
- Date Requested: 1st March 2019
- Date Received: 13th March 2019
- Personal thoughts: Website informed me that I would receive my samples in 10 days (should be 10 working days to be more accurate), so was pleasantly surprised to receive this early. The sachets were packed in a normal envelope. Inside was also a letter with some product info and where to buy the product online (RM9.90 for a pack of 7 sachets). Will be giving these to my mom to try.
PURINA ONE (Cat food sample)
- Method of request: Filled up a form on Facebook (campaign ended)
- Date Requested: 1st March 2019
- Date Received: 31 May 2019 (suspect due to condo management not informing me that the parcel was with them)
- Personal thoughts: Purina shipped out the sample end of March via courier mail (based on the date stamped on the parcel), was informed of the shipment via SMS on the 2nd of April 2019. But I only received it in my letterbox end of May. I suspect it was kept by my condo management all this while and they forgot to inform me. Sample was part of their Purina ONE 3 Week Challenge, so it came with one sample packet and a RM10 voucher (which expired already).
Other samples requested but have yet to receive
- Corpore Sanctum (28.02.2019)
- Kao MegRhythm Steam Eye Mask (1.03.2019)
- Lactacyd (1.03.2019)
- Dove (1.03.2019)